Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Musical Movie Ride

By Misty Harris

I know I've said this before but Charlie Chaplin's City Lights is my absolute favorite silent film.
If you have not seen it yet, I'm sure it's available at the library or for purchase online. Absolutely no words were needed to express the emotional roller coaster that took place throughout the movie. Seeing it a few years ago while listening to the score performed by the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra live was fabulous.

What would a movie be without music? How would you attach yourself to it? Most people remember Superman, Star Wars, Harry Potter, etc. by the music. Every year, I take my nephew to the Halloween concert at the BPO. While other concerts we attend do not catch his attention as much, he always recognizes the music the orchestra plays when we attend that special performance. He equates it with his favorite movies.

In celebration of the Oscars (Sunday, March 2), Classical 94.5 WNED will be airing the music of the movies during the last two weeks of February. You'll have the opportunity to hear some of your favorites from the likes of Maurice Jarre (Lawrence of Arabia), Ennio Morricone (The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly) and Thomas Newman (The Shawshank Redemption). We'll also feature the music of Disney and music of from this year's nominated films.

Will you be watching the Oscars? Who are you rooting for? Have you seen any of the nominated films? I saw 12 Years A Slave and in my opinion, the music is just as compelling as the movie. I found myself humming the music hours later after I left the movie theatre. What are your favorite movie scores? Share with us and let us know if there is something you want to hear during our movie music celebration!

No comments:

Post a Comment