Thursday, June 6, 2013

To Market, To Market

By Misty Harris

I don't have a green thumb (I think I already mentioned that). However, I have managed to keep two plants in my house alive for the past year! I even tried my hand at repotting one. The process was pretty intense. I spent at least 15 minutes in the gardening section of one of my favorite stores trying to decide which new pot was coming home with me. Afterwards I placed the pot next to the plant (her name is Linda) and there it stayed for about a month. Linda is now in her new home and continues to grow and love the sun she points towards in my kitchen.


I love fresh vegetables and every time I visit one of my good friends I'm always in awe of her garden. She grows her own vegetables and has an extensive knowledge of how to take care of them. Her love of vegetables inspired her to volunteer at the Elmwood Village Farmer's Market every Saturday during the late spring and summer months. I often visit her there and while standing off to the side of her booth I listen in as she thoroughly explains to potential customers and regulars what each vegetable tastes like and what goes great with it. She's a part of the great culture of farmer's markets. I don't go to the Elmwood location as often as I like since I moved out of the neighborhood but I always anticipate the beginning of the market season in downtown Buffalo. It brings the city to life while providing options to the city dwellers. I usually stop by during the morning to pick up some fruit before continuing on to work. I have to admit I do more flower shopping than vegetable shopping. Many vendors have a beautiful array of seasonal flowers to choose from. But it's nice to be able to go to the market during lunch and scan the vendors for fresh vegetables. I love the way dill smells and although I never make the purchase, it's always something that I look forward to encountering just so that I can get a whiff! 

How often do you make it to your local farmer's market? What do you look for when you go? Not sure where one is? Check out this list of WNY area markets. What about our Canadian friends? Where are your farmer's markets and how often do you visit during the season?  Farmer's markets are great alternatives to brick and mortar stores and does wonders for the local economy. Ever since I started visiting, I've noticed that many local farmers and business owners who set up shop at the market's also have their products in grocery stores around the area. If you've never been to a farmer's market, this month would be a great time to attend. It's National Fresh Fruit and Vegetables Month.

Also, stay tuned to WNED-TV and ThinkBright and Well this month for programs like 3 Steps to Incredible Heath with Joel Fuhrman, M.D. and The Omni Health Revolution with Tana Amen, R.N. & Dr. Daniel Amen, M.D. (both airing Saturday, June 8 beginning at 11 a.m. on WNED-TV) for tips on how to jump start living a healthier life! 

No comments:

Post a Comment