Thursday, January 31, 2013

Creating Kid Fest

By Mindy Fox Takacs, WNED Development Producer
423831_10150539012751139_1782005273_n[2]
When I was asked to help
put together an event that focused on the PBS Kids block over seven years ago, I approached it just like any other event I had previously planned. I did my research, asked my young nephews what they were into, found out what the most popular shows we aired were, talked to parents of young children to see what they liked at other kid related events, etc. Now that I have a 3-year-old of my own, who is in the target demographic for PBS Kids and this event, planning WNED Kid Fest is kind of like planning a giant party for her and 2,500 of her (and my) closest friends. Over the years, we have been lucky enough to develop some amazing partnerships with organizations like Blue Cross Blue Shield, Matt James and the Pinwheel Parade, the Erie County SPCA, Master Chong’s Tae Kwon Do and Rolly Pollies, just to name a few. I can’t thank our sponsors and community partners enough for all their efforts in making Kid Fest a success. Most of all, I thank all of the parents who bring their children to this event. You may not even realize it, but by attending Kid Fest you are doing your part to help support PBS Kids and the quality programming that we air every day on WNED.  When I look around the room at all the happy faces attending our “giant party” this weekend, I am grateful to be surrounded by friends who also choose to bring their little ones up as PBS Kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment