Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Way Back Wednesday: Fact #2

By Annmarie Dean

WNED has had several different homes before settling in at our beautiful location within walking distance from the waterfront. I definitely make it a point to enjoy our surroundings on my lunchtime walks. Anyway, a few ladies came into the studio last week and asked me how long we’ve been residing here because they were so impressed with the building. I didn’t have a clue until I did some digging and here’s what I found:

We started our adventure into public broadcasting in a tiny location behind the present WIVB studios on Elmwood Avenue in 1959. Later that fall, we moved into a small penthouse studio atop the historic Hotel Lafayette in midtown Buffalo. In 1973, the operation was moved to the West Side, 184 Barton Street to be exact, for $1 per year. In the early 90s, we settled into our current location on Lower Terrace.

WNED.Building

So there you have it, the many homes of WNED!

No comments:

Post a Comment